Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

Follow me on Twitter
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Hey guys, I haven't spoken much of the news article. I appreciate all the positive feedback and any and all feedback left on the phillyburbs sight...which means more positive publicity for our kids with Down Syndrome.

However, I wanted to explain that the article is not accurate in many effects.
Here is my list I emailed to the reporter:
1. I did not say...."the doctor's made it so negative" about Megan. My doctor's in fact were very positive. I will be sad for my doctor's to read this because they in fact were very supportive of Megan. What I believe you were referring to was when I told you of how other mother's experiences were.

2. I specifically asked you to refer to children with down syndrome as "children" first....and it say's..."...63 mothers who collaborated on a book about raising a down syndrome child" IT IS CHILD WITH DOWN SYNDROME

3. Kathern Soper has never worked for Woodbine House. She operates her own publishing company "Sequllah" and it was published through her company 1st before Woodbine House read our online version and did a reprint which you can buy in Barnes and Noble.

4. There was no mention of being able to buy the book at B&N, which was suppose to be what the article was about, you cannot buy it at OBGYN offices which is what the article makes it seem like. The contributors have been donating copies to OBGYN offices and all proceeds of the book go to purchasing even more copies to donate. One contributor donated books to the ACOG convention in May.

5. There was no mention of my daughter Olivia which was the reason for becoming a SAHM...(not a big deal but the article makes it seem like I left my job to care for my 10 year old)

So I just wanted to clear the air as I was embarrassed to share this with the other contributors of the book as I mentioned through email my disdain for the reporter as he was preparing the article...I did not go with my gut and continued.
So my apologies go out to my doctor's and Kathy. I apologize for the mistakes. Although it did no harm for our cause, it wasn't what I was expecting.

Here is the link in case you missed it
Courier Times Article

5 comments:

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I'm sorry that the reporter did not convey the information as you had told him. That has got to be so maddening, especially when it is something so important to you!

Bethany said...

Aww Steph, don't fret. I'm sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted it to, I don't think any article ever would. SIGH. I thought it was great, although I did pick up on those few things you pointed out, but that is because I know you. And I still love that picture!! Could it be any sweeter?!

Amy Flege said...

i thought the article was good but that sucks about all the goof ups....oh well. loved the picture!

jennifergg said...

You did a great job, and it was such a positive article, overall...great work!

My blessings times five said...

Steph, I know the feeling. When Courtney and I were interviewed, there were VERY few quotes that were accurate. I was so embarressed. My husband, who is interviewed frequently, warned me that this would happen. The morning the first article came, he said be grateful if 80% is true. This reporter bashed on Doctors, which I had no intention of doing. But then my own pediatrician, after we talked to him, said, if the shoe fits. Then he went on to say, Diane, it is crazy out there. and told me to to retract anything, cuz although the reporter put words in our mouths, they were more right. I know you did not say this about your doc. But don't worry, cuz you can not change what a reporter says. Trust me, the next interview, I said very little. LOL. She asked me how much I weighed. I know better, and I said, "Now what does that have to do with Down syndrome." Ya live and Ya learn. I am very careful with reporters. You did great. don't you worry about it. Very humbling experience isn't it? Di